Dating is dating regardless of one’s location, age, sex, race, or any other item that can be used to classify a person, and Canada is no different. This is true even in regards to senior people meet including those seeking out over 50 dating companions.
Do Senior People Over 50 Date?
Canadian senior people aged 65 and older account for 16.5% (or 5,987,260 persons) of the overall population whereas in the United States senior people within the same age bracket only account for 14.5% (or 78,800,000 persons) of the overall population.
Canadian statistics show that about one out of every five people falling in their late 50’s were divorced or separated. The following chart gives a clearer overall picture of Canada’s single statistics that incorporate and can account for the number of person that could be over 50 dating.
So it is pretty safe to say that when the baby boomer reaches out to date they are doing so after not being in the dating scene for some time. Many of baby boomer generation have not grown as comfortable with some areas of the electronic age. This could include many areas and aspects or just a few. Generally, however, it has been found that the millennials or those aged 18-34 (or born between 1981 and 1997) have a more comfortable time with virtual meetings than the baby boomer.
Tips For Safe Online Dating In Canada Or Elsewhere
Here are some helpful tips for senior people over 50 dating online. Many might find them reading advice they themselves have given to their own loved one’s, children, or even grandchildren over the years.
Some are common sense or ones that you might hear often, whereas, others one might not have otherwise considered. Whichever might be the case we hope you to have a safe and enjoyable time dating and hope these tips can assist.
- Make an e-mail just for online dating. Use this e-mail rather than one you use for family, finances, or other activities. This will help to ensure a safer online experience. This will also help allow you to stay a bit more anonymous until the time in which you are ready and comfortable to make yourself known as more than the screen name or email tag you have created.
- Do not use your real name right away.This is yet another way in which you can help to protect yourself online. Screen names or emails that include this information leaves one vulnerable in many ways such as potential scams, possible identity theft, or other equally not nice means of communication.
- Only agree to meet once you are ready.Regardless one’s age the first time meeting someone face to face can be a bit overwhelming. The person in which you are getting to know online, if they are true, will not have an issue with this.
- Meet in a public location. Invite friends along. Once you believe you are ready to meet do so in well lit public locations. Invite your friends along if that makes you more comfortable. You will be able to relax and have more fun this way.
- Be safe and careful.Ones is never to old to no longer worry about issues such as domestic abuse or even STD’s. Follow your gut and avoid potentially dangerous situations.
Senior People Over 50 Dating Tips
We ask that you not think of these as merely over 50 dating tips. Instead we would rather you think of them as the reminders that they truly are in your case for we have no doubt when it comes to everyday life we could learn more from you than the other way around. Besides, the worst to happen as you read the following tips are to laugh uncontrollably either by yourself or as group of senior people.
- Meet in a public place until comfortable otherwise such as the local coffee shop or mall.
- Always make certain someone knows where you are going and with whom just in case.
- Remember that having fun has no age restrictions and you deserve the self reward.
- Stay in today this is best done by not allowing yourself to overly dwell on the past.
- Never disclose your financial status or situation to early to help avoid potential scams.
- Follow your gut as it has done you well so far in life. You will be thankful you did – again.